Media and Topologies
Protocols and Standards
Network Implementation
Network Support
Obviously they break down even further, but I'm not going to type everything out. Having seen this list, I'm feeling a little better about things. It seems like a general working knowledge of a variety of topics will do best for this exam. One approach method I have in mind is given a particular term or concept, I would like to be comfortable explaining it to someone who has no idea what I'm talking about.
Now that I have a better idea of what's expected of me, I'm going to list my available resources. This will most likely get edited in the future as I add things.
- Network+ Guide to Networks, 4th Edition by Tamara Dean. This was the textbook I used for the class, ITNET-101. There is a disk that came with it that contains a variety of tools I can use.
- CBTNuggets, an invaluable website. I happen to get a free subscription through school, but I highly recommend this site for any IT Professional. It contains a wealth of information and videos on a huge variety of topics, from the most basic, all the way up to advanced Cisco certifications.
- This Website, which I found has an excellent PRACTICAL list of information that I should know before going into this exam. After all, textbooks are notorious for overstating, and sometimes we all need some condensation to make things a little easier.
- Self-test software, such as CertBlaster. I still have to see what else is available to me, but I will definitely do so. This will be one of my primary "benchmarking" tools to gauge my progress.
Today I plan to run through the Chapter 1 summary, and review the visual guide to connectors (Appendix D if you're following along). Last week I took a 25-question practice exam and got blasted (about 40%). I wasn't very serious at the time, but I definitely have my work cut out for me.
Time until the certification: 8 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment